1. When is Carnival of 2023?
Carnival in Brazil happens every year and is celebrated for five days, happening 40 days before Easter. It starts on Friday and ends on the Tuesday preceding Ash Wednesday. Like Easter, the exact date of Carnaval changes every year.
In 2023 Carnival will begin on Friday, February 17th and ends on Tuesday, February 20th.
The Winner's Parade is on Saturday 25th of February.
2. How do the Parades work?
For a detailed description of how the Parades and the judging criteria of the Samba Schools work, you can check our page about the Samba Schools.
3. How and when should I book my tickets?
Sales for the parades always begin in May of the previous year. It is always good to book as early as possible, to ensure the best prices and enjoy early bird promotions.
4. I heard that I can parade with the schools. How can I do that?
It is possible to purchase a costume from one of the Samba schools and parade alongside the passistas and drums section. Rio Tickets helps to intermediate this purchase with the schools. Find more information by clicking here. (Link to the page How to Participate in Rio's Carnival)
5. Can I parade for a school and watch from the grandstand on the same day?
Yes, but we do not recommend it. Aside from the fact that you would need two separate tickets (the costume and a ticket for the Sambadrome), those who parade must be at least three hours in advance at the place and therefor would miss seeing most of the other schools.
6. Does Rio Tickets offer discounts for groups?
No. We always offer the best ticket value for all our customers. Large groups can access other exclusive offers such as: private transportation, carnival accessories and no shipping fees for tickets.
7. I already made my purchase. When will I receive my tickets?
When purchasing through Rio Tickets, you will receive a receipt in your email with your reservation number. Save this email, it will be necessary as proof in order to claim your actual tickets when you arrive in Rio.
When in Rio, come to our Carnival Center located at the Arena Copacabana Hotel to collect your tickets in person or, if you prefer, we can have them delivered to your hotel at an additional cost.
8. How can I make sure my reservation went through successfully?
You will receive a confirmation email from us. If you do not receive an email after 24 hours from the time of purchase, please contact us through our contact page.
9. Can I cancel my reservation, make changes or request a refund?
Tickets can be canceled or postponed/altered until September 30, 2022 subject to a 10% cancellation fee. To cancel a reservation, please contact one of our specialists directly.
VIP Lounges Cannot be canceled or changed in any case.
As of October 1st, 2022 no tickets or VIP Lounge tickets cannot be refunded or canceled, and will be subject to a cancellation fee.
After October 1st, 2022 tickets can only be refunded if the production of the Carnival decide to cancel the show due to the COVID-19 situation. If the show is postponed, then your tickets will be automatically changed to the new dates, and we won't be able to refund the tickets.
Requests must be made under the same name as stated in your documents. If the name of the buyer needs to be changed, simply send us an email with the new name and your order confirmation.
To change your email, simply send us a copy of your passport and the order confirmation.
10. How can I pick up my tickets? What documents do I need to bring?
After arriving in Rio, head to our Carnival center at Arena Copacabana Hotel, where you can receive all the necessary information about the Rio Carnival. To collect the tickets, simply present the receipt we sent you by email, along with a copy of your ID or passport.
Please note that the tickets can only be collected with the document of the same name that appears on the reservation.
If you prefer, we also offer delivery service to your hotel. Learn more by clicking here.
11. Where should I stay?
The South zone is the most popular area to stay and the most recommended. The neighborhoods of Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon are the best, safest and most expensive. Lapa, Flamengo and Botafogo are usually cheaper and also have good access to all tourist activities.
For our customers we offer special discounts in the Arena network in the Zona Sul. Just access arenahotel.com.br and enter the code BRAZILAO to see the exclusive rates.
12. What are the best places to seat in the Sambadrome?
For a detailed list of all the sections in the Sambadrome, including tips on how to get there and where to sit, please see our page about the Sambadrome.
13. Which days of the parade considered to be most impressive?
The most grandiose and impressive parades are those of the Special Group, on Sunday and Monday. The parade of the winning schools from both groups takes in on the following weekend on Saturday night.
14. How to get to the Sambadrome?
- For the odd-numbered sectors, the best ways to access the Sambadrome are by taxi or subway (Estação Central/Central Station).
- For the even-numbered sectors, it is recommended to take the subway to the Praça Onze station.
- It's not recommended to go by car because there's no parking in the area.
- Municipal buses are also not recommended because they are not safe on carnival nights.
- Shuttle Transfers are also available from a list of the best hotels in Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Botafogo, Barra da Tijuca e Centro. Reserve your shuttle now and save yourself the hassle on the night of the party! Learn more by clicking here.
15. Can children come watch the parade?
Yes! The experience of the parades is totally kid-friendly and many parents have fun taking their little ones. The minimum age to enter the Sambadrome is 5.
16. Are there any areas for people with special needs?
The two areas dedicated to people with physical disabilities are located after Sector 13 (300 seats with companion seat) and Sector 10 (12 seats with a companion seat). In the bleachers of sectors 2, 4, 6 and 8 there are also reserved places for up to 8 wheelchairs per sector.
17. What activities does Rio offer during the day?
In addition to several beaches, museums and architectural beauties, Rio is also home to more than 500 street parties, which take place all around the city during Carnival days.
Also in the spirit of Carnival, we recommend a visit to the Samba City. Founded in 2006, the complex offers various activities related to the biggest Samba Schools in Rio de Janeiro. Learn more by clicking here.
18. How about nightlife?
The Rio Carnival also offers many parties and balls with international DJs and coveted tickets. Check out a list of our recommendations on the Private Parties page.
19. I bought the Folia tropical VIP Lounge, where and when is the pickup?
The transport round trip to the Sambodromo is made through van or microbuses with all the credentials and air condicioning.
To go to Sambodromo:
Zona Sul: Monte Líbano (Lagoa):
Sunday, Monday and Saturday's Winners Parade: 19h30, 20h30, 21h30, 22h30, 23h30, 00h.
Barra da Tijuca: Windsor Oceânico (Posto 3)
Saturday: 19h30, 20h30, 21h30, 22h30, 23h30.
Sunday, Monday and Saturday's Winners Parade: 18h45, 19h45, 20h45, 21h45, 22h45, 23h45
20. I can't find an answer to my question on the FAQ. How can I get in touch?
You can contact our team through our Contact page.
21. Important information about Rio-Tickets
You can contact us through our Contact page.
If you want to know more about our work click here
22. Important information the show during pandemic
The organizers committee of the Rio Carnival Samba School may decide on specific restriction in order to attend to the Rio Carnival Samba Parade. Restrictions such as: Passport Covid in order to enter the stadium, or even showing negative test. failing to do so won't be a reason for a refund.